Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Am Joaquin

As I read this poem, I was amazed with all the historical icons Rodolfo Corky referred to. All of the research that went into this piece is admirable on its own, but the way Rodolfo compiled the history of the Mexican people to tell a story of revolution, pride, anguish, and arrogance was simply astounding to me. Rodolfo uses a character named Joaquin to carry the story the poem tries to convey. Joaquin, one man trying to get by in American society, struggling to come to terms with how he and his people are forgetting their history, who they are, and where they came from. Joaquin: the embodiment of Mexican history and culture.

Rodolfo introduces the poem in Spanish, and then quickly changes to English; repeating what was said in the first two lines. This alone represents the pride and traditions that are within Joaquin, the poem’s narrator. The next three lines “confused by the rules, scorned by attitudes, suppressed by manipulation, and destroyed by modern society” really set the frustrated and depressed tones that are prevalent throughout the rest of the poem. 

I love how Joaquin (Rodolfo) kept saying “I am Cuauhtemoc” or “I am Nezahualcoyotl”, representing how although he is just one person, he is also many. The history of his people’s culture is a part of him, as it is with everyone. The idea that one person can be many people is very intriguing to me.
                          
Joaquin continues to symbolize his culture’s history in chronological order until he gets to the present. He then starts to represent some American culture; “My blood runs pure on the ice-caked Hills of the Alaskan isles, on the corpse-strewn beach of Normandy, the foreign land of Korea and now Vietnam.” This signifies that he acknowledges that he is now a part of American culture as well, although he struggles to come to terms with it. Since he is now a part of American culture and society, he feels as if he has become muddied and impure.

“They overlooked that cleansing fountain of nature and brotherhood which is Joaquin.” This line really stood out to me. Here, Rodolfo blatantly states that Joaquin is Mexico’s history, culture, and people and that the people who disregard it went on to ruin who he is.

“I shed the tears of anguish as I see my children disappear behind the shroud of mediocrity, never to look back to remember me.” Here, Rodolfo is describing how his culture is deteriorating due to his people hiding themselves and becoming okay with being normal instead of being amazing, therefore changing who he is as well. But Joaquin quickly turns around and becomes prideful and unrelenting.

“I am still here! I have endured in the rugged mountains of our country I have survived the toils and slavery of the fields. I have existed in the barrios of the city in the suburbs of bigotry in the mines of social snobbery in the prisons of dejection in the muck of exploitation and in the fierce heat of racial hatred.” Here, Rodolfo is stating that Mexican culture and history will never be forgotten because it has been through so much and has occurred throughout most of North America. He ends the poem on a victorious note with “I SHALL ENDURE! I WILL ENDURE!” signifying the cultures enduring pride.

There were many lines in this poem that really stood out to me and will stay with me for a long time. Which line is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment